"Also we may want
to stop prattling on about how 'we just don't get no respect' when we allow
dopey-looking hunks in ridiculous costumes advertising an erotic publisher
on our back cover. There's a big difference between sensual romance and erotica, and I think we made a big mistake in lowering our standards
to accept such a publisher."
I get it. Some of you don't like erotic romance. Fine. Whatever. Go ahead and complain. I don't care. That is your right.
But here's the deal. I don't care. However, it appears my publishers may care and this frightens me.
First, you have Black Lace. My most recent letter from them says:
Editorial Changes: Please be aware that we want to tone down the four-letter words a bit for future compilations. We preferably want only one sex scene per story, beautifully described and perhaps more subtle than previous Black Lace writing. We are trying to get the books off the top shelf here in the UK, and out to a wider audience. For that, we need to reduce the use of 'f' and 'c' words.
There's more, but you get the drift.
Then one of my other publishers recently turned down a collection from a friend of mine because the stories were "too erotic" for their "erotica" line.
Yesterday, a writer for still another of my publishers warned us on the loop that every 'f' word in her ms was cut, even when it was used as a curse and not a reference to the sexual act. When she complained she was told vitriolic reviewers had managed to change editorial policy for the publisher.
And Ghede never made it off the ground "due to the current conservative climate".
What does this mean? Censorship. Plain and 'f'ing simple. Publishers need to make money. Conseratives keep stirring the pot and publishers get scared. When my publishers get scared, so do I.
Is this because I can't write any other way? Do I have to use four-letter words in my stories? Of course not. That's not my point. My point is the option should exist for people to exercise their constitutionally guaranteed right to freedom of speech and let's face it people, it's slowly eroding away in the case of erotic romance. Rumor has it EC is prepared to move their operation outside the US if this type of bullsh!t keeps up. It's very, very ridiculous that people who don't like something feel that they are superior enough to demean and suppress others rather than taking their @ss and the stick that's shoved up it elsewhere.
The publishers are feeling forced to change their guidelines due to pressure and it just isn't right. This isn't a case of them making changes because they want to. There should be something for everyone. There are inspirational publishers and imprints, and there are erotic publishers and imprints. Why are the erotic romance publishers facing all of this pressure? I just don't understand it at all.


0 Response to 'Fed up'